Monday, July 16, 2012

Trek 2012

We just got done with going on a trek to Martin's Cove with the youth and I wanted to share some of the highlights from this incredible experience.


Here we are ready to go at 4am!!!

Do I look the part?

We rode on a bus for 7 hours to get there!

The Noble Steeds! We were Ma & Pa to 5 girls and 5 boys ages 14-18.

Our awesome family flag.

Our sons were awesome. They pulled and pushed the handcart about 90% of the time.

This tiny little cloud was the biggest tender mercy as we were hiking in the HOT sun. It provided some much needed relief.

Our gang trekking on into camp.

Ready for day 2 and more adventures

A lot of handcarts at the bottom of Martin's Cove

And we did!

Two of our lovely daughters. They were so much fun.

One of our sons walked part of the trek bare foot! Oh to be young!

Some cute pioneer ladies.

The Statues were made to honor the young men who Brigham Young sent to rescue The Martin Handcart company. They were teenagers and crossed the river 30 times to get the people across. Then they died. Brigham Young said that act alone guaranteed them a seat in The Highest of Heaven. -It really impressed me how many of the stories shared were of the teenagers doing so much of the work that needed to be done. There truly is and always has been, power in the youth of the church.

Just playing around as we were waiting our turn to cross the river. I think we're pretty skilled.

We got to cross the same river as the pioneers did.

It was 100 degrees out with NO SHADE and the river felt so good. I walked as slowly as I could.

The woman's pull. To help show that were times when the women were left alone while the men went to fight in war or had passed away, they the women pull the handcart up a steep and sandy hill without the men. It was really a wonderful experience. I must admit, I got teary eyed watching the men walk up the hill without us knowing we would have to do this without them. But we can do hard things!

The ladies so proud of our accomplishment!

This is how we got our water. And that is the man of my dreams. I LOVED the time I got to spend with him.

Those rocks are where the actual Martin's Cove is. I didn't realize it was actually a small area where they went to gain relief from the wind and elements.

Last day, homeward bound!

Taking a little rest

The Noble Steeds! We managed to pick up 2 new son-in-laws along the way. They were good at pushing the cart and were welcomed with open arms.

Our fearless Bishopric. Such great men. I'm glad one of them is mine ;)
Some things that really stood out to me:

President Ferrin commented about the senior missionaries serving at Martin's Cove, "These senior missionaries are physically and financially healthy so they can serve The Lord". It made me so excited and committed to do what we need to do so I can serve a mission someday with Marc!

President Ferrin also said, "These leaders (speaking about the adults that came on the trek) are all here not because they love the outdoors but because they have been through the temple and they have covenanted to give all that they have to build the kingdom of God."It really struck me that is exactly why I do all that I do and I knew in that moment God was pleased with my efforts.

A testimony was shared by one of our sweet Laurels and she said very genuinely, "I know that no matter what I have done, God still loves me." It was so tender and reminded me that I do not need to get down on myself and that God does truly recognize my efforts.

Helpful tips: Bring an umbrella (there is little to no shade), chapstick, a coat (the nights and mornings were cold), a bonnet (those pioneer ladies knew what they were doing and that bonnet helped a lot!), a hand fan (it is hot!)

Funny: A senior missionary asked why the pioneers decided to move to Utah and an answer from the crowd was, "To avoid prostitution." The missionary said, "Um, okay, anyone else?" and a sweet lady said, "And to avoid persecution" Hehe

No comments: