Monday, November 5, 2012

Lucy's 5th Birthday Party in The Emerald City

Our house was transformed into The Emerald City for an hour as we celebrated Lucy's 5th birthday with 12 little munchkins. The Tin Man was there to greet everyone. 

We favored the party goers with rainbow cupcakes (Lucy's favorite part of the whole party she told me), lollipops from The Lollipop Guild and Glenda wands.
They also got these darling Wizard capes that my mom made. Such a hit! And I loved watching all these little munchkins running around my house with matching capes on.
Lucy was thrilled to use her Wizard of Oz dolls as decorations for her party.

We had everyone dance to "One Short Day (in The Emerald City)" from Wicked. It was so fun to see these adorable girls just dance for all they were worth as the boys just stood by each other not knowing what to do.


Then we played "Wizard May I" (like Mother May I) and . . .
It was a HUGE hit. These kids just giggled and screamed as they played. I loved it!

Then the kids took turns hiding a ruby slipper while someone closed their eyes. Then they would help their friend find the slipper by saying if they were hot or cold. Again, the kids loved it. I just laughed as I watched their enthusiasm.


Pin the heart on the tin man was a lot of fun too. I was amazed at how good they were at it!
We used these props for our photo booth. Tiara for Glenda, witches hat for Alphaba, funnel & ax for the tin man, fur for the lion and straw hat for the scarecrow.

Zander as the lion.

Leo as the tin man

Then everyone got to decorate their Glenda wand.


And make rainbows out of pipe cleaners and pony beads. 
Eliza & Norah drove straight through from being in Oregon to make it in time for the party. We were so happy to see them!
And of course we sang Happy Birthday and enjoyed cupcakes.

I dyed the cake batter different colors so the cake would be rainbow as well. In the end I think it was a success.
Happy Birthday to the little lady who made me a Mom. I love opportunities to celebrate your life!



2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Cute pics, Katie!

Anonymous said...

Turned out SO CUTE!!!