Thursday, June 16, 2011

What's in a name?

Vivian Rose
When I was pregnant with David and we still didn't know if he would be a boy or a girl, I thought the name Vivian would be a nice name if we had a girl. When I shared this name with my mother-in-law she said that was the middle name of Marc's Great-great Grandma and that she had always loved that name. I then learned that Lucille Ball's sidekick Ethel's real name was Vivian and I thought it was fitting since we already had a Lucy. Then when Vivian was born, just before we named her, I kept thinking how great "Lucy and Vivi" sounded together and they just seemed to work very well together. Marc agreed, we prayed about it and we have loved the name for her ever since. People often comment about what a "beautiful" name it is. We agree.
Her middle name, Rose, was my Chinese name given to me by my host family when I lived in Asia. We thought it sounded lovely with Vivian and was a way to name her after me. After she was born, my Grandma reminded me that Rose was the name of my Great-great Grandma. I had forgotten about this, but I thought it was wonderful that our little Vivi will carry the names of her Great-great-great Grandmothers on both sides. May the legacy continue . . .

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I discovered your blog through a comment you left on the mayors blog, would you believe it? Haha. Anyway, I just ADORE your little Vivian. She is so precious. Congratulations! And I also absolutely adore all of these little headbands of hers! They are just to die for.

mindy said...

Vivian Rose was on the top of my list for Leif had he been a girl. I have to confess to being kind of sad to have one of my favorite names used up (though I'm sure she isn't the first or the last with that name)...somehow it just seems less original when you actually know another person with that name. (Though checking the Social Security index, I see it was at 158 last year, which means it is getting too trendy for my preferences.) ;o)

She is a beautiful little girl, and she does the name justice. The picture of her with her face scrunched on her blessing day looks so much like Lucy at that age.