Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blessed while on The Lord's errand . . . .

This story is even better if you know my friend, Karissa. I'm not sure it will ever get printed in The Ensign, but it is definitely a reminder that we are being watched over while in the service of God:

You really owe it to yourself to read this, it is crazy! In her words:

So, I've had a LOT of time on my hands lately and I've been volunteering a lot with several different churches and companies. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to volunteer at the bishop's storehouse in the valley. I volunteered to drive and there were 2 other ladies coming with me. One, Deyonira, I know quite well because we take her to church and the other, Betty, I'd never met before. Betty lives in the projects (welfare complex) downtown. A lot of people who volunteer are people in need of assistance provided by the storehouse. I was assuming that Betty was in that category. After talking to her on the phone, we agreed on a time and she said she'd be waiting outside. I pictured a nice little old lady.

I pulled up to the housing complex and there was one woman waiting outside. Betty waved at me and I waved her into my car. She really didn't look like anything I had imagined. She had a huge tattoo on her forearm that read "RIO" a well known gang in here in Oxnard and she had another tattoo under her ear that said "805", which is our area code and the name of another gang here in town. She reeked of mary jane and vodka but I looked over it thinking to myself, "good for her...trying to turn her life around". When she got in the car she looked in the backseat and then looked at me and said, "where's Daniella?" I assumed she was talking about Deyonira (a lot of people mispronounce her name). I informed Betty that we were going to pick her up right now. I should have picked up Deyonira first but having never been to this part of town, I thought I would backtrack less if I picked up Betty first. Then Betty questioned, "why didn't you get Daniella first?" I told her I should have but I didn't know that she wouldn't be on our way. Seemingly content, Betty asked, "you got the stuff?" Thinking she was talking about her storehouse order form, I told her she'd get it when we got there. I told her I'd only been there once and I wasn't sure how things went down. "I'm sure they'll have a little orientation for us or something", I explained. "I don't need no damn orientation! I know how this s#!t goes down!" I was a little thrown off guard, "Well...I'm not sure how it works...we'll just see when we get there". Then Betty starts acting weird and asked me, "Why the hell didn't you get Daniella first?! How can I trust you without Daniella?!" "I'm sorry", I said, "I should have picked her up first, I didn't realize you guys were so close" (even though you don't know how to properly pronounce her name). I told her it was stupid of me. "How many people are gonna be there?" she asked. I told her I wasn't sure and we'd find out when we got there. Then she yells, "HOW IN THE HELL CAN I TRUST YOU?!" I had no idea what to say...I was pretty speechless, but I kept driving. As I turned a corner she yells, "This isn't the way to Daniellas!" I told her I wasn't sure the best way to get there...I was just following my GPS. I kept driving and she says, "I really don't think I can trust you without her here." A little confused, I apologized again and told her we'd get to her friends house soon. She screams, "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!" I was so confused and starting to get scared and I yelled back, "DO YOU KNOW A BETTER WAY?!" Then Betty starts breathing really fast and her eyes got really big and she screamed, "ARE YOU A COP?!?! ARE YOU A MOTHER F-ING COP?!?!" "What?! NO!" I yelled back (everything started to click into place...this was NOT Betty). Then she continues to scream, "DAMN DANIELLA THAT B!**!!! SHE SET ME UP!!! THAT MOTHER F-ING B!**!! I'M GONNA GET HER!!! DANIELLA GONNA BE SORRY!!! REEEEEAAAAL SORRY!!!" It was all happening so fast and I was coming to a stop at a light and was planning to make a U-turn to take her back home, I was breaking but still moving at about 15mph when suddenly she swings the door open, AS THE CAR IS MOVING, and bolts. I've never seen anyone run so fast in my life.
I like to talk a big game and put on a tough face but I seriously could have crapped my jeans after I realized what just happened. She totally disappeared and left me in the drivers seat in the middle of the road with my passenger door wide open. I was shaking so bad and had to get out of my car and walk around to close the door. I then thought to myself, "Holy crap...I just got accused of being an undercover cop by a hardcore drug dealing gang banger."
I then turned around and went back to the complex and was relieved when I saw a cute little old white haired lady with a cane waiting for me. When she walked toward my car I asked, "Are you Betty?" She said she was indeed and when she got in, she explained, "I'm glad you just pulled up, I felt bad for being late but I had to go to the bathroom...and when you're my age you GO when you gotta go."
I was here on time...you have no idea grandma...
I've had a lot of frightening moments in my life, but this one is right up there with the scariest. I ended up driving about 6 blocks with that hardcore gang banger in my passenger seat yelling at me. Thinking back, I realize how lucky I am that I didn't get shot right there after she realized I might be a cop.

I'm just hoping Daniella was equally as lucky...

10 comments:

Christine said...

Scary!!!

Rebekah said...

yikes! my dad grew up in oxnard, and it was gang-town USA even back then. how long has your friend lived there?

JMadd said...

Yes, Heavenly Father does watch over us while we are serving him. It sounds a lot like the stories that missionaries who serve in the ghetto tell.

Katie said...

I think she's lived there about 2 years

Heidi said...

Is this the Karissa I know? I can totally hear her telling the story.

Anonymous said...

So my husband served his mission in Detroit - I totally made him read this and we were totally cracking up! So glad she was ok and able to write this :) Must have been terrifying!

Kelly said...

haha no I don't think that will make the Ensign!

mindy said...

oh wow!

Lemme said...

hahahaha!!! so true!! thank you for sharing my story!!! hopefully, if anything, people will learn not to skip the INTRODUCTION step before letting a stranger into your car!!

brandandbrit said...

That is one of the craziest stories I have ever heard! Thanks for sharing!