Monday, November 2, 2009

Post-baby brain

When I was pregnant with Lucy I can remember (frequently) not being able to recall something. Often my absence of thought would be followed by laughter and some other seasoned Mom saying something like, "Get used to it," with a chuckle in their voice. I knew that "memory loss" was a part of pregnancy, but it really hasn't seemed to go away. It is so frustrating!

I used to learn all my students' names on the first night of class, since having children-I can still draw a blank on a name at any moment. I used to wonder why people made lists for the grocery store-now I would not survive without one. Just the other night I went to buy three things at the store and I had to call Marc because I couldn't remember what the third thing was! I have been known to leave the burner on the stove on well after dinner is over. I space appointments and even fun outings with friends. In meetings, if I don't write down exactly what I am supposed to do later-it will never happen. These are all things I used to be very good at.

This all came to a pinnacle last week when I showed up for a Primary Program I was supposed to watch as a representative from the stake. The meeting began and there was no program scheduled for that day! I asked the Primary President what was going on and she said that it had been changed to two weeks later. I walked home almost in tears wondering if I would ever have control of my life again. In this case, it turned out that they had rescheduled it without letting us know so it wasn't my brain's fault after all. At any rate, it is still very symbolic of how things seem to be going these days.

My husband (who also happens to be a Dr. of the brain) informs me that it probably has a lot more to do with how much more I have to juggle now then actual brain loss. Either way, I had no idea when everyone told me what a sacrifice I would be making to be a mother that it meant a big piece of my brain would no longer work.

6 comments:

Christine said...

I am so glad you wrote this. I feel the same way. I have to write EVERYTHING down or do something right when I think of it.It is hard for me to feel less intelligent. Nice to know that it is due to our tremendous multi-tasking abilities (i.e. what we have to juggle now) right? The question is, does our brainpower ever come back?

Unknown said...

HAHA! It's so true. When I was teaching and pregnant with Brigham I dialed phone numbers of parents wrong EVERY TIME, sometimes even three or four times per phone call. SO IRRITATING!

I started taking a fish oil suppliment(specifically because is a natural anti-depressant) but it's the same stuff DHA comes from, which supports babies brain development. I think it helps mommies brain too...and even if it is a placebo...at least it is working :)

girlsmama said...

Baby brain, mommy mind, we've all got it. I use the wrong words all the time. Jarrod thinks it is quite amusing, I however get a little irritated. And to top it all off, I forgot to send Leah to Activity Days the last 2 times. It was even on the calendar. :)

mindy said...

I think the biggest thing is that you now have two things that are ALWAYS on your mind, so it takes a genuine effort to make enough room for other things to stick. It gets worse with each kid. I find that using Google Calendar is very helpful for me. I actually don't have to write EVERYTHING down, but I do have to write down dates and times, and most grocery lists more than 3 or 4 items. You learn to adjust.

Cheryl said...

Frustrating, I know! I actually read somewhere that when you become a mom, you actually get smarter. Hmm...I haven't found that to be the case yet!

Danica Osborn said...

i don't remember experiencing a ton of it with claire, although i'm sure i did. but, this time around i have unreal pregnancy brain. i'm less articulate, i forget words, and names, and leave burners on too! i schedule two things for the same time, and forgot to put a whole carton of ice cream away after i got my hubby and i some the other night. what a waste! so i hear ya on this one!!! sad to realize its not going away after i have the next baby. haha!