Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Potty Training 101

Begin with a little lady who is very excited to use the "big girl potty" and wear "big girl panties" she picked out herself . . .
Supply lots of reinforcers and assistants such as Skittles, M&M's, stickers, potty books from the library, phone calls from Dad while he's at work . . .
Set this baby to go off every 15 minutes to remind Mommy to take her to the potty (it then automatically re-sets itself-I had to throw the picture in for all my Special Ed friends) . . .
Fill in a sticker chart every time pee-pee or poo-poo goes in the toilet. Then at the end of each row reward the special little lady with a treat of her choice . . .
Don't plan to go anywhere for 3 days. Our world is potty training right now! And then after you've done ALL of this, be sure to have the mindset that if it still isn't working . . . we're just not quite ready and we'll try again in a little while. Wish us luck!

*Note: I noticed this post is getting a lot of traffic. I actually give a much better detailed account of what to do here It says it's for a little boy, but the principles are pretty much universal. Good luck!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that you are using a motiv-aider! LOVE IT.

I should get me one of those, the snooze button on my cell phone isn't cutting it.

Good luck. We are in the same boat this week!

Maryblog said...

go go Motivaider!! Those are great. Great way to utilize it at home! If anyone can do it in 3 days (or less) you can!

Ani said...

Oh my gosh. This is too funny. I just spent 20 minutes in the bathroom with Kate sitting on the potty. She kept saying, "I wanna try again!"...and nothing happened. I need to get some of your supplies! Good luck!!!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad you are going into it so positively...I hated potty training. It was the worst week of my life! So good luck!

JMadd said...

Just keep telling yourself that no matter how hard it is with Lucy it will be much harder with David. That's not good news for when it's David's turn, but it might help you get through training Lucy. I hear that boys are a beast to train.

Lemme said...

Working in the lovely field we've found ourselves in, I've potty trained a large population of 3, 4, 5, and 6 year-olds. I've made a deal with God that all of my kids will be born pre-potty trained.

Heather said...

how is it going!? and where do i get one of those Motivators?

ls said...

holy cow, katie, you are serious about this! i am sure lucy will be potty trained in no time-- good luck!

Christine said...

I want to start training Eva soon but things are still a little too up-in-the-air in our lives. I will take your advice to heart and try it. I can't wait to only have to change one little set of buns.