Friday, September 30, 2011

David: Twenty-Eight Months


Dear David-

A few days ago I learned an important lesson from your good friend, Jonah. He taught me that life is precious and that circumstances can change quickly and unexpectedly. You don't realize it, but you will miss him. I miss him, too. Even at this young age, he's been a great friend to you, and you to him.

So, with that sobering reminder fresh in my mind, I've decided to write you a letter on the monthly anniversary of your birthday. Without further ado, here are some things I've noticed about you during the past month:

  1. You have a kind heart. I've known this for a while, but it's been reinforced to me almost daily. When Vivian is crying, you come tell me. You don't like it when people are upset with you and you try to quickly assure your positive standing by approaching them for hugs. I love that you're tender-hearted. I would much rather have you be so than to have you be insensitive.
  2. You like to read. When I read books to you at night, you will ask for "that book" and read it again to yourself while Lucy and I are singing the night-time song. Sometimes you read out loud about "Max" or about "Love you through and through."
  3. Your curiosity about how things works fascinates me. When I swing you in the porch swing, you look up to where the chain is connected. When playing with the garden hose, you study how the water comes out, and what happens when you put your finger over the end. I wonder what you will do with this curiosity you have.
  4. You are sticking up better for yourself with your sister. Lucy has long known that she can "boss" you around. I've noticed now that you're tolerating that behavior from her less and less. Good for you, son; while I appreciate your gentle soul, I don't want you to be a pushover. And...sometime in the very near future, I think you and Lucy are going to both come to the realization that younger doesn't necessarily mean smaller.
  5. You are doing great "using your words" when you get frustrated. You still scream, but when prompted, will with increasing frequency explain what has upset you, or what you want. Thank you for this. I appreciate understanding.
Thanks for being my good, smart, handsome man.

Love,

Dad

3 comments:

Katie said...

I love this. And I love my two men in my life.

Christine said...

Awww. What a sweet letter from father to son.

Linda Stahr said...

What a great way to remember the little things - and to build a great relationship with your children... I think I may just steal this idea - starting with my oldest child; only I think I'll send hers in the mail... she needs all the positive I can muster! And I was sorry to hear about Jonah - I'm sure he was a good friend.