Wednesday, October 5, 2011

And a child shall teach them . . .

Last Thursday my dear friend was at our home with her sweet son, Jonah. While they were here, Jonah choked on a fruit snack and died. It was tragic, it was awful, and it was very very painful to watch my friend have to go through this. Despite all of that, I am so grateful God put me in the place I needed to be so that I could be there for my friend in her most difficult moment.

It has been just under a week since sweet Jonah left this earth. A lot of tears have been shed, many sleepless nights have been endured, and many moments of comfort and healing have been embraced.

I want to take a moment to try to share some of my thoughts on what this little 14 month old boy (along with his mother) have taught me.


-Life is precious: We had been canning spaghetti sauce and I needed to go pick up Lucy from dance class (literally a 5 minute task). In the time I was gone, the accident occurred.

-There is a power in sisterhood: Although I came home to a tragic scene of an ambulance, firetruck, cop cars and all my neighbors standing in MY front yard, the memory I have in my heart is that of sisterhood. Sisterhood because one friend was there holding my dear friend Julie while two other sisters were holding my children and yet another sister was running down the street to see how she could help. These sweet sisters looked at me as the ambulance was pulling away (I had been out of my car at this point maybe 60 seconds) and they said, "Go be with her. We have your babies. GO". And I went.

-God comforts us even when we may not want to hear what He has to tell us. I prayed like I have NEVER prayed before that God would heal Jonah. Each time I prayed, it felt so empty and I just kept thinking I had to pray harder. As the moments went on, I realized this was God helping me accept what was going to happen.

-God is in the details of our lives: There were so many tender mercies that occurred throughout this event. One that stands out, was that a blanket (that was not there when I left) was laying on the porch for Julie to place my Vivian on so she could care for her son. Oh if we could only see the many angels that must surround us.

-Our baptismal covenant to mourn with those who mourn is so real and so needed. Do we fully comprehend it's value? Are we too quick to jump to the comfort and lifting of burdens? Mourning with those who mourn is vital.

-Take TIME for those you love: That morning as we made spaghetti sauce, Jonah came running in to see what was making the nose coming from the blender. I scooped him up so he could have a look. Oh how I treasure this moment.  I am committed to having many more moments like these with my children. I want to be continually caught up in the wonderment of my childrens' lives.

-In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can’t see. I had to pick my car up from the shop the next day and everyone in there was just so happy and fine. I literally had to stop myself from turning to them and saying, "Did you know Jonah died?" Oh how we must be patient with one another.

-When all is said and done, life is about relationships:I am so thankful Julie and I have made the time to be in the details of each other's life. I love her. I love her husband. I love her Jonah.  She is my sister.

-There is power in the resurrection: After this occurred I kept wondering how I would even begin to explain this to my children. How will I teach Lucy about death? The thought made my mind spin. Then my sweet husband reminded me, we will teach them this by accompanying our  lessons with insights on the resurrection. Oh how this put my mind at ease.

The aching is still so real. The pain is still very strong. The heartache and loss is incomprehensible. It is a difficult time. And the knowledge and insights are incredible. And most importantly, the love I have in my heart for my children, my husband, and for Julie and her sweet family has grown to a level I did not before comprehend.

8 comments:

Lundin Family said...

Oh Katie! I am so sorry to hear about your friends loss! and how scary and sad it must be for you too. I am grateful for you insites you can put things into perspective so well! Love you!

Christine said...

A lovely post. I cried. May the Lord bring peace to those mourning for the little boy.

girlsmama said...

Dear Katie, I knew from Mark's post that something tragic had happened but had no idea how close to you it was. My prayers are being said that both you and Julie's family will be comforted and find peace.

Mary Susan said...

This is such a sad thing that happened to your friend and your family. She is so blessed to have you in her life to watch after her. You always have such lovely outlooks on everything. I continue to learn from you even though I am not in your classroom.

Linda Stahr said...

This brings, for me, some memories of personal loss and also the understanding and very real feelings of the Savior being with those who need Him most. I pray that you will feel His comforting hand when you need it most! I lived your post, and my heart goes out to all who were involved.

Kathryn said...

So sorry Katie. I first read this post exactly when I needed it: in the middle of a pretty crappy parenting day. SUCH a strong reminder about how fleeting and precious life can be with these little people. Thank you for the insights. I'm thinking about you and Jonah's family. (And even shedding some tears, too).

ls said...

oh katie, i am so sorry to hear about this tragedy. how heartbreaking! i cried as i read your post. expressions of faith through tragedy are so beautifully moving to me; i pray that i would be full of such eternal perspective if i was faced with the same thing.

i am so sorry for the trauma and loss that your friend (and you) are suffering through. i'll say some extra prayers today for you all.

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

Thank you so much for sharing this post. Your talk at Jonah's service was so wonderful! I am so grateful to have shared a tiny part of Jonah's life. He is a giant among spirits!

-Alta Stringham (Leah Hall's sister)