Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I love being a homemaker

I was once talking with a man who does construction for a living. He was telling me all about how much he loves his job. He then said, "I do not know of any other job where at the end of the day and the job is all done, you catch yourself just sitting back admiring what you have done." I looked at him, smiled and informed him that I knew of a job where this is done. He looked at me puzzled and I replied, "Homemaking."

The truth of the matter is when the rest of the world may need an award, a raise or a major promotion to feel they have accomplished something grand; all I need to do is look at a room I have just cleaned and I am filled with an overwhelming sense of worth. A pile of freshly cleaned and folded laundry is a beautiful site to me. I pat myself on the back when I sew a button on a shirt and give it new life. I get giddy inside when I perfect a recipe. And yes, I catch myself frequently at the end of the day, after the job is done, just sitting on my couch admiring the work I have done. Call me crazy, but I love being a homemaker.

3 comments:

Christine said...

It does feel really good when the clothes are all folded and put away and when the floor is mopped. I understand. The bad part is that I get so antsy when things are out of order.

Ethan and Marisa said...

LOVE this post!! TOTALLY agree!

Stephanie said...

You're so good at saying things. :) I feel the same way. The living room is my favorite place to go to relax - all freshly vacuumed.