Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lucy is learning to read

I am using a book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and she is doing great. I want to know that my children have a strong foundation of phonics prior to starting kindergarten (Lucy will start in a year and a half). I decided to try it with her and to keep doing it with her as long as she felt it was enjoyable and didn't feel frustrated. Yesterday she sounded out her first word: "me". It was a beautiful moment in her heart and mine.

5 comments:

Plewe Fam said...

That manual has been incredible for my kids. I can't tell you how many times I get asked for it because people want to know how my kids learned to read. Even our kindergarten teacher wants it for her classroom. Just one of the many blessings of being a SpEd major with you!

Rebekah said...

How fun! Elaine and I are on the same lesson! I loved the look on her face when she realized she had read a real word. (I used the same system for Mariah and loved it all the way through.)

Christine said...

Cool! I'll have to look this book up.

Heather said...

I can't wait to use my book with my kids!!! I just let my sister-in-law borrow it for her 4 year old. I can't wait to hear what she thinks about it!

Kelly said...

I am looking forward to using it with Abby in a year or so. In the meantime I have lent it to friends who have had great success with it. It is so nice to have some research based tricks up my sleeve from teaching that are so wonderful for using on my own family!