Monday, September 1, 2008

Orderville Slot Canyon-Epic!

Mommy and Daddy went off on an Epic adventure last Saturday while I played with a very nice lady named Cindy. Since I wasn't there, I will let my Mommy tell you all about it:

We hiked an amazing slot canyon with some great people, and even though a 5-6 hour hike turned into more like a 9-10 hour hike with a small thunderstorm mixed-in, we still loved it!
This was Marc's first slot canyon and I loved the chance we had to do this together. He REALLY liked it too and was very good at it so I am confident this won't be our last . . .
Getting down into the canyon-is that gorgeous or what!
This course was the most technical I've done and we had to use ropes at multiple spots. Sometimes the drops led to beautiful clear water and sometimes you landed in some pretty yucky stuff:
Here is Marc in the heart of the canyon. I love this view for so many reasons!
Me rappelling down with my fearless husband to catch me below. I find I do best when I don't look down.
Marc would go down first and kind of help guide everyone down. At this particular spot with Daryl, he did a little more catching than he did guiding. Oh the laughs were many on this hike!
Trekking through the water, there were some spots where you just had to swim the water was so deep. Heidi often led the way for us and her directions went something like this: "Ankle, oh waist now, oh swimming, still swimming, I can stand." It was all quite helpful!
Some tried to stay dry, but in the end it was pointless. One spot you jumped in at a small waterfall and the water went over your head!
The fearless group (minus Brad who is taking the picture). Dylan, Daryl, Jerick, Heidi, Me, Marc, Jared and Cindy.
The hike ended in the last 2 miles of The Narrows-this hike was simply amazing! Thanks for the memories everyone.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great hike. I am realizing that you have been the organizer of most of the amazing hikes I've been on. Thanks for getting me out to see such amazing places. Swimming, swimming, still swimming...

Unknown said...

What a fun hike!

Christine said...

Hey I've hiked The Narrows before. Such fun! But I don't think I am brave enough for rappelling. You go girl!

girlsmama said...

That looks like tons of fun! We should really get out more!

Becky J. said...

I can't believe you went to Orderville! That's like my family's town! The Lambs are some of its founders and there are tons still living there today. We've been there for tons of Lamb reunions over the years. We love doing the slot canyons there, especially Red Caves. Aren't they crazy fun?! Glad you had a good time!

mindy said...

awesome! sometime when I'm not pregnant I'd love for David & I to go hiking with you guys. We love to hike, but aren't as good as getting the hikes coordinated/organized. So will you promise to invite us sometime in the future? :o)