Saturday, January 9, 2010

Names have been changed to protect the innocent:

I just had to write this story down regarding my co-workers. Let me preface it by saying I work at a VERY conservative University and most of my colleagues are a good 10 plus years older than me:

Being that we are professors working constantly with young college-age adults, we tend to try to keep up with the latest fads. At a recent faculty meeting Professor Taylor was throwing out various texting terms such as, "LOL" and "TMI" at different parts of our meeting. His comments were often followed by laughter and at least one other professor asking what his latest set of initials meant.

The meeting continued and we were discussing a program several schools were using that we didn't feel they should be following. You could even say we were somewhat disgusted that this was happening in our schools. At which point Professor Taylor proclaims, "WTF". Myself and another younger professor gasped. Professor Taylor then said as innocently as could be, "Waiting To Fail".

Our gasps did not go unheard and we ended up having to very carefully explain why, "WTF" should probably never be used again in our setting. I love my job.

7 comments:

Christine said...

Katie, this made me laugh so hard!!!!!

Bre said...

love this comment. and considering how many male professors are you in your department, I could probably guess who it is. :)

So I'm curious...what's the program that you don't feel like should be followed?

JMadd said...

I love it so much when older people try to be hip and fall flat. I was ROTFL with this one.

The Dean Family said...

that is so funny! I never try any new "phrases" unless I am positive I know what they mean, even then, my kids think I am a dork when I try.

Heather said...

Love this!

Heidi said...

WTF!

Kelly said...

that is funny