Monday, February 15, 2010

How could The Father tell the world?

We're learning this song in Primary and it has really taught me a lot lately about my Heavenly Father. Here are the lyrics:

How could the Father tell the world Of love and tenderness?
He sent His son, a newborn babe,
with peace and holiness.

How could the Father show the world
the pathway we should go?
He sent His Son, to walk with men
on earth, that we may know.

How could the Father tell the world
of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us
and rise with living breath.

What does the Father ask of us?
What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son,
help others on their way.

What does He ask? Live like his Son.

As I ponder the words to this song my thought is, "Heavenly Father gets it." When we think of any tragedy (like the one that just happened recently to a family in Utah who lost both of their daughters ages 15 months and 4 years within days of each other) or any other sorrow, any heartache, any uncertainty, any amount of loneliness . . . Heavenly Father gets it.

And why does He get it? Because he has been there. He not only has been there but he has gone there. He so fully understands the plan of eternal salvation that he willingly gave His only begotten son to endure ALL things even death.

Here is where I have done a lot of thinking lately. Any parent of worth would, without hesitation, rather endure any trial over their child having to take upon the pain themselves. We hear so often from parents of children who are in wheelchairs that they wish they could be the one confined so that their child could know what it was like to move freely. Any parent who has had to endure watching a sick child would much rather take the illness over their child having to pass through it. I think it would be fair to say that we parents would, if the option were given, willingly take the pain in place of our children.

I think of this as I sit holding my sweet children. Not wanting any harm to come upon them. Not knowing how I could bare the thought if anything were to happen to them. Knowing that I would give and do anything for their lives to be as carefree as possible. And then it hits me . . .

As much as I am grateful for all that Jesus Christ did for me and I acknowledge and am indebted to Him as my Savior. I cannot even begin to comprehend what my Heavenly Father so willingly sacrificed on my behalf. HE SENT HIS SON.

He sent his son. He sent Him knowing that he would endure ALL things, even death. And yet He did it for all of us. I am sure, if it were possible, He would have much rather endured the heartache over having to see His son endure such pain. And yet He knew the plan. He so fully understood that He willingly sent His own son on our behalf. He so fully gets it.

So when life seems unbelievably hard and we do not know how or where to find the strength. We can turn to Him. Because He completely understands. Our greatest defense in times of struggle will be to draw as close to our Father in Heaven as possible and to become as much like Him. Beacuase He truly has the strength to overcome all things.

We have not been left alone to accomplish this task. Because Heavenly Father sent us the perfect example to know how to go. He sent His son. And we must, Live like His son.

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

thanks for the reminder, katie.

The Dean Family said...

I love that song! What a great thing to remember!

Christine said...

It is such an amazing thing to think about, isn't it?

Becky J. said...

That was beautiful and well put. Thanks for the reminder. I've always loved that song, too, and I'm glad the primary is focusing on it this year. It's on the CD they sent home for the kids to learn the songs better, and we love listening to it.

Unknown said...

This reminds me of being in you class and that reminds me of how much I love you.

Beautiful.
Just perfect.
Thanks!

jen said...

Where can i find the sheet music?