Monday, February 22, 2010

My little reader

I am a teacher by trade and I must say watching Lucy begin to "read" has been one of my greatest joys as a mother. And for my other nerd teacher friends that will appreciate this: She understands to start at the front of a book, she turns the pages in order, she points to the print, repeats common phrases, begins her stories with "Once upon a time . . ." and ends them with "The End" and my personal favorite . . . licks her finger before turning the page (just like Mom):

7 comments:

Kendra said...

Ahhh! So cute! I was really excited too when Tori learned to turn a book the right way and turned the pages back to front! I know that she is going to be a reader just like me! Now is she would just learn how to put the book back on the shelf after she is done reading it... I guess you can't have everything! :)

Heather said...

Love it! James is just figuring some of this stuff out too. I tell Bruce the same things (pre-reading steps) but I don't think he cares as much as I do...I get really excited too!

Christine said...

So cute!!! The finger licking part is the cutest!!

girlsmama said...

Always one of my favorite things! It's even better when they start reading and you find them up way past bedtime stuck in a good book. Frustrating, but still good.

Lemme said...

LOVE IT!!! she's so cute!! thanks for the detailed info.
~nerd teacher friend

JMadd said...

The finger-licking is my favorite.

Claire said...

awww!!! that is SO cute!!!!! I'm sure Lucy will be top reader in her class as well once she gets there since you are such a good teacher :) I'm excited to have the same experiences as a mom soon!