Tuesday, April 3, 2012

This boy . . .

 . . . is as big of a handful as this picture would make him out to be. He has exercised every ounce of knowledge I have ever learned about positive behavior management and has pulled my heart in directions I never knew existed. He keeps me on my toes and pushes buttons on me no one has ever pushed before. He is a challenge. And like all things in life I have had to work for, it is the work that has created within me a love for him that is unmeasurable. When he was born I came across the quote by Elizabeth Stone,  “Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body.” This boy has OWNED my heart from the moment he was born. Some day I hope he will understand just how much he means to me.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Ha ha. Boys will do that to you. :)

Brooke said...

I have to say I noticed how you acted around him once, and it has been an inspiration to me many times. He started to throw a tantrum and rather than you getting upset, or embarrassed, you calmly talked to him and acted as if there was no one else in the room, just you and him. I realized that so often I want to placate those adults in the room with me, make them know my child had a hard night, or is hungry, or whatnot, or I sharply talk to my child because I am so embarrassed and I want him to stop his behavior more quickly. But you were not embarrassed by his behavior at all, you addressed it so perfectly and I have tried to remember and emulate that in my life. Thank you for that example.