Tuesday, May 29, 2012

You never lose a day of sobriety

Today the forum at BYU was given by Dr. Melissa Heath, a colleague and friend of mine. She said many great things, but something that really stood out to me was when she was talking about the 12 step program that The Church does. She shared how something stressed in the program is that you need to remember, " You do not lose days of sobriety-you always keep those." She mentioned that even when we mess up and get off track, it is ok. We can always go back and the days we have of sobriety are banked. They do NOT go away. She said that Satan would have us believe once we've gone off track that we're hopeless, but this is not what God would have us believe. With God, there is always hope.

Her words really struck me as I likened them to my efforts as a mother.  I really know the type of mother I want to be. I really know the ways I want to discipline my children. I really know how much time I want to spend with my children. I really have this very clear ideal of who I should be as a mother.  And yet . . . I fail at it every day!!!

Still each time I fail, there is hope. I can get back up and choose to use my failures as teaching moments as I try to become more like God. And every moment when I have been that mother I know I want to be; it's all still there! You never lose a sober day. Every sweet moment and memory with my children has been banked and even when I mess up-those sweet times still exist. 

I think I am too quick when I make a mistake to feel like I will never get this whole mothering thing down. I know what I should do and yet I still don't always do it. And you know what, that is fine. This is how we were meant to learn. Only one person was sent to this earth to be perfect and it certainly was not me. 

So I am grateful for this reminder. I am grateful to remember that when I make a mistake, I am allowed the permission to get back on track. I am grateful that when I get back on that track, all of those precious memories are still right there waiting for me. I am grateful that forgiveness is real and that my efforts are known.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Very good point. I have those kind of days frequently lately. :/