Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Memory

My sister and I shared a room until her senior year of high school. I really treasure the time we had to bond through this experience. We often stayed up way too late talking and giggling and I'm pretty sure I learned most of what I needed to know about the birds and the bees through those late night chats as well.

At any rate, for a long time we had a trundle bed (you know, the twin bed with the other twin bed that pulls our from underneath). Our trundle bed had this feature where it could be popped up (clicked into place) and be even in height to the other bed. The key to that previous sentence was "clicked into place."  If you did not click the bed into place, the bed would come tumbling down leading to a great degree of shock and laughter often all at once (but not always by the same people).

Whether it was because I was the younger sister or the sister that would actually make the trundle bed and put it back under the other bed so it would be out of the way, I was the one who slept on the bed that was pulled out and clicked into place.

Often my sister would do one of two things. Either I would come in and see that my bed was already out and ready for me and I would be so grateful she did this for me (I fell for it every time) OR she would ask me to go get her a drink or a snack once we were already in bed (and for some reason I almost always obliged). My sister would take these opportunities to un-click my bed while still leaving it balancing perfectly upright. Without fail, I would hop into bed and the bed would collapse sending my heart racing and my sister into hysterics.

One time I can remember coming into bed carefully balancing crackers and cheese (a requested snack) in my hands and the moment I cautiously put my knee on the bed, I fell and everything in my hands flew all over the bed. I believe I was mad at the time. Now, I just look back and laugh . . . .


  • 1 comment:

    mandy said...

    Julie and I had the ame bed and we played the same trick. I always fell for things as well-- something about being the trusting little sister.