Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pregnancy Uno vs. Pregnancy Dos


Pregnancy 1: I couldn't wait for my belly to expand and for everyone to see I was pregnant
Pregnancy 2: My belly EXPLODED over night way before I was ready for it

Pregnancy 1: At any given moment I could tell you exactly how far along I was
Pregnancy 2: I have a hard time even remembering my due date

Pregnancy 1: I was determined to eat healthy and avoided junk food as much as possible
Pregnancy 2: I feel so justified in eating a sugar cookie with frosting on it anytime I can get one

Pregnancy 1: I napped pretty much daily
Pregnancy 2: I am chasing a toddler and when she naps-I am a whirlwind getting things done

Pregnancy 1: I read everything I could get my hands on about being pregnant
Pregnancy 2: I have to remind myself of the resources that are out there when I have weird symptoms

Pregnancy 1: My back didn't hurt
Pregnancy 2: I am toting a baby in utero and a toddler in arms-my back hurts

Pregnancy 1: I had every little thing ready and constantly made lists of things we still needed
Pregnancy 2: I figure whatever we don't get between hand-me-downs and gifts, Marc can go buy before the baby is too old

Pregnancy 1: I nested by cleaning everything like the floor boards and blinds and so on
Pregnancy 2: I nested by getting my house complete like buying new couches and shelves (Marc felt the first nesting approach was much cheaper for him)

Pregnancy 1: My baby stayed in one basic area of my belly and moved around just enough for me to know she was there
Pregnancy 2: My baby is kicking me in places I didn't even think he should be able to reach

Pregnancy 1: I dreamed of dressing up my little girl in the cutest of clothes
Pregnancy 2: I can't wait to buy him a suit

Pregnancy 1: I cried with happiness at the responsibility and honor it would be to raise a daughter and teach her all about her divine potential as a woman
Pregnancy 2: I tear up with gratitude when I think about how blessed my son will be to learn how to be a true gentleman through the example of his father

Pregnancy 1: I felt overwhelmed, excited, confused, blessed, scared, humbled, and grateful
Pregnancy 2: I feel overwhelmed, excited, confused, blessed, scared, humbled, and grateful

Pregnancy 1: Was a treasure
Pregnancy 2: I treasure with all my heart.

7 comments:

Becky J. said...

That was very cute and funny and SO TRUE! It's very different the second time around, and yet so much the same.

Kendra said...

Some of those things were so me too! I could never remember how far along I was..I hardly ever looked at the Pregnancy Week by Week book (unless I had a weird problem) Spencer was a mover and shaker and Tori was a calm one. Spencer kicked and moved in places that I never knew a baby could reach and Tori hung out way down in the south pole! Ha ha ha! Would it be as fun if it were the same?

Christine said...

Isn't it funny that they are so different even in pregnancy? This third one is different too. I guess it goes to show how we are giving to birth to complete individuals.

Sandy said...

Love this post!! I was all goofy the first time around, too - the more kids you have, the less time and energy you have to worry about "incidentals" like due dates, haha:)

ls said...

i love this, katie. i have wondered what it will be like with #2, and even found myself worrying that it will be so much harder now that i have a toddler, but your list made me feel reassured and comforted that it will be just as beautiful (and perhaps LESS stressful) an experience as #1. thanks.

Cheryl said...

I felt the same way on a lot of things too. Last time I went way out on cleaning the house for the "nesting" stage; this time I'll be happy if the toilets are cleaned and the carpet is vacuumed!
Well said :)

Chit Chatt said...

It sounds like your a mom!