Friday, May 14, 2010

Utah Republican Convention

Some random thoughts about my turn as a state delegate:

-I was absolutely thrilled to be nominated by my neighborhood precinct to represent them at the state convention.
-I told my Dad about it and he came too. I couldn't find him at first (it is at the Salt Palace and about 4,000 people are there passing out all kinds of literature and goodies). Then I looked up and across the crowd saw my Dad with a Bennett shirt on. It was so fun to be there with him.
-We listened to Mitt Romney speak for a bit and then chatted with Orrin Hatch. I think my Dad was a bit star struck.
-When they began with the pledge of allegiance, they requested that all current and former servicemen give the proper salute. My Dad proudly saluted and even shed a little tear as the pledge was said. I love him.
-My precinct overwhelmingly wanted Bennett re-elected. I had met all the candidates and felt we could benefit from Bennett's leadership for 6 more years so I felt good about voting for him. They got the vote down to the top 3 which was: Mike Lee: 28% Tim Bridgewater: 27% and Bob Bennett: 26%. That was CLOSE!
-We voted again and the vote came down to Mike Lee: 37% Tim Bridgewater: 36% and Bob Bennett with 26%.
-Bennett did not go on and in the end Bridgewater and Lee will go to a Primary for the remaining of The Republicans in Utah to decide.
-I felt since Bennett had about a 78% approval rating in Utah, we owed it to the people to let them decide in a Primary. Obviously others did not.
-If it were just up to me, I would have gone with Bridgewater from the beginning. He has a lot of real answers, a lot of REAL experience in the business world, a strong direction regarding education and is a very personable man.
-I strongly endorse Tim Bridgewater for the upcoming election.
-I do NOT endorse Mike Lee. He looks great on paper, but the more myself (and other delegates) heard him speak, the more we did not feel like we could get any REAL solutions out of him. I think he'd make a great Attorney General.
-So there's my 2 cents regarding politics. I love being a part of something so influential.


Favorite quotes of the day:
"Mr. President, we are not the party of no. Quoting John Boehner, we are the party of HELL NO!" -Bishop

"It was the states that created the federal government NOT the federal government that created the states." -Chaffetz

"Who cling to their guns and religion." -Philpot (the best part about this quote was that all this candidate had to do was mention guns and religion in the same sentence and the crowd went wild. You gotta love the Right).

And my personal favorite: "Try being informed instead of just opinionated." -Hough

1 comment:

arc said...

Nice post.
Some stats for your use:

Senate Race: 1st Round Results

1. Mike Lee – 28.75% (Total Votes 982)
2. Tim Bridgewater – 26.84% (Total Votes 917)
3. Sen. Bob Bennett – 25.91% (Total Votes 885)
4. Cherilyn Eager – 15.84% (Total Votes 541)
5. Merrill Cook – 1.43% (Total Votes 49)
6. Leonard Fabiano – 0.64% (Total Votes 22)
7. Jeremy Friedbaum – 0.47% (Total Votes 16)
8. David Chiu – 0.12% (Total Votes 4)
Total 3416

Senate Race: 2nd Round Results

1. Tim Bridgewater – 37.42% (Total Votes 1274)
2. Mike Lee – 35.99% (Total Votes 1225)
3. Sen. Bob Bennett – 26.99% (Total Votes 905)
Total 3404

Senate Race: 3rd Round Results

1. Tim Bridgewater – 57.28% (Total Votes 1854)
2. Mike Lee – 42.72% (Total Votes 1383)
Total 3237