Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New York City with The Best Friends


After I left Hailey, I met up with Rebecca and we were off to see Wicked! I love this girl so much.

Here we are in Times Square. She has been my best friend since the 7th grade. So thankful to have her in my life.

We loved Wicked. Pretty much the greatest play ever. I loved Alli Mauzey who played Glinda. She was a riot.

Here are Rebecca's beautiful girls: Lillian and Madeline. They were all bundled up and ready for school. I loved watching them do gymnastics all over their little New York apartment.

Daniel was all ready to walk to school too. This little guy melted my heart, he was so cute. Always climbing on my lap to read books and laughing at my jokes. Such a sweet heart.

This little piece of heaven came from The Little Pie Company. The flavor was sour cream apple and walnut and it was delicious. 

Rebecca and I went to Norma's for brunch. The food was amazing. She had Heuvos Rancheros and I had lobster mac & cheese-yum!

Standing in St. Patrick's Cathedral. Breathtaking. I felt like I was back in Italy.

Rockefeller Center. 

Grand Central Station. Such an amazing building. I got David some awesome toy trains from the train museum there. Grand Central Station holds so many great memories for me. My first time to NYC, I was with Rebecca and our friend Josh. We layed on the floor and looked at the constellations on the ceiling. Such kids!

Then we enjoyed the MoMA (it's free on Friday nights). I love modern art-well some of it.

I fell in love with the Jasper Johns paintings.


Kathryn flew in from Portland that night. We felt giddy being together again. She brought Voo-doo doughnuts from Portland and we dined on those by candlelight as we attempted to catch up on one another’s lives.  The beauty was that we wanted to know it all and yet didn’t have to know a thing to still feel right at home with one another. We stayed up until 3 am!


The next day Kathryn and I headed out to get Rush tickets for Once (the hit show on Broadway right now). We stood in line for an hour, nearly got frostbite on our toes (I’m not kidding) and in the end-we got tickets! Then Kathryn wanted a bagel with lox so I pretended like I knew what I was doing and we huffed it over to Brooklyn Bagel and enjoyed the most delicious everything bagel with lox.
Then we met up with Rebecca again and hit Chelsea Market where they were having a sample sale. I got Marc a great shirt and hat and myself an infinity scarf. Then I found this darling little stuffed animal owl with a music box for Vivian. It is precious.

Next we walked The High Line-an abandoned railroad track that has been converted into this lovely walkway with benches, green space and stadium seating to watch the traffic. It was a great way to see the city. Even more, I enjoyed the time to just stroll along as I caught up with dear friends.

Walking The High Line

It was a great way to see the city!

After our walk, Rebecca took us to The Doughnut Plant (that Kathryn and I kept calling Plant Doughnut). We had the most amazing doughnuts. Flavors included: crème brule, PB & J, pistachio, hazelnut and tres leches. Wow!

Then we went home to freshen up a bit before our big night. Matt & Rebecca were so excited to take us to Polly G’s for apparently the best pizza ever, but there was an accident on the bridge and we were not going to have enough time to eat there and make it to our show on time. It was a bummer, but we got over it.

The play Once was incredibly artistic. The music was amazing-I need to get the soundtrack. The storyline was intriguing, realistic and symbolic of so many situations in life. The lead lady was incredible. The frequent use of the f-word made it difficult for me to fully embrace the show, but each time they sang, I was in awe.

Childhood friends now Moms, not even sure what to do with all of our free time!
Sunday was my last day and we talked about seeing The Met before church, but in the end we just wanted to hang out with one another. I made us waffles that we enjoyed with Rebecca’s sweet babies. Then Kathryn and I took a stroll in Central Park where we saw a half-marathon going on. The pond we walked by was beautiful with the skyline as a backdrop.
Until next time . . .



No comments: