Thursday, December 11, 2008

And Sometimes I Will Just Be A Mom . . .

I am a professor of Special education. I KNOW what to do to get a child to behave and follow the rules. As a teacher I taught students with very severe disabilities and we had a very well run classroom with students who, for the most part, acted appropriately. With this in mind, let me tell you a little story . . .
One of my most stellar students upon graduation placed her child in my classroom (this was when I taught part time for BYU and still full time in the districts). This BYU student had gone on to be an amazing teacher and I was so proud of her.

One night she was coming to pick her son up from school which meant he wouldn't be riding the bus that day. While waiting for his Mom he had made a bad choice so he was receiving the consequence for it. When his Mom walked in, I explained to her what had happened and the consequence he was receiving for it. I KNEW she would understand what an amazing teacher I was and that this was surely the best thing for her son. She looked down at her teary-eyed son and said, "And right now do you just need your Mom". She then bent down and gave him a great big hug.

I have never been so impressed in all my life.

So although I know just about every stratgey under the sun when it comes to behaviors (which are still amazing stratgies don't get me wrong), somedays my Lucy just needs her Mom. I may just hold her after she throws a little tantrum because I know she didn't get a very long nap ealrier that day or I may just hand her that cracker if it means she will stop screaming while we are out shopping. And you know what, it's ok. Because I am not Lucy's paid teacher who sees her only for a set time each week. I am not her behavior coach trying to shape her into doing something. I am her Mother and sometimes what we really need most is a Mom.

4 comments:

Marc said...

I have an amazing wife! Lucy and I are so fortunate to have her balance of discipline and devotion. I love you, Katie!

girlsmama said...

Amen! The hard part for me is remembering that sometimes. Thanks for the good reminder.

Lemme said...

That's hard to remember. I always think that if I had kids they would each have a token board with their "I am working for __________" at the bottom of it. People would think I was insane!

ls said...

I am so with you here, Katie. I love the way you put it all into words because I have had these thoughts over and over again in my head. Sometimes babies just need mommies and somtimes I just want to be a mommy and not a school teacher. Thanks for this post.