Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy Monday

Thought this might be of interest to some of you . . .

Suggested Amounts of Basic Foods for Home Storage
Per Adult For One Year

Grains 400lbs (wheat, flour, rice, oatmeal and pasta)
Legumes 60lbs (dry beans, split peas, lentils, etc)
Powdered Milk 16lbs
Cooking Oil 10 quarts (16 lbs of shortening equals 10 quarts of oil)
Sugar or Honey 60 lbs
Salt 8lbs
Water (2 weeks) 14 gallons

My thought: You will not be able to do it all at once. JUST START with something and keep moving forward.

2 comments:

The Wilsons said...

thanks for the tip on food storage, I am horrible at it, i never know what to get or how much, thanks to you, problem solved. I love what Marc did with the room, it looks amazing!

Kelly said...

So this comment is not about food storage but it's the easiest way to get back to you...everytime I see a baby alphabet thing I think about how you told us that you and Heidi like to joke that Lucy will be messed up because her alphabet says 'G is for giraffe' which isn't phonetic. You are totally right! G is for giraffe on every single baby alphabet thing I have ever seen! What about a gorilla? I think on mine c is for chicken too. I guess I'll be able to keep up the animal alphabet for many years to come with all these advanced reading concepts.