Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Theme For 2009

1 Corinthians 13: 1-4, 8, 13
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
13 And now bideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

I do not want to merely serve, I want to serve with a pure love for everyone I am blessed to help. I do not desire to win an argument for the sake of my pride, but rather to understand what is the best solution for everyone involved. I do not want to watch Lucy, I want to care for her and support her in her desires to grow, learn and become all that she can. I do not want to work, I want to share a passion for the greatest profession one can be a part of. I do not want to keep a clean house and make yummy food, I want to treasure the art of homemaking. I do not want to to be a woman of the world, I want to be a daughter of God.

Ways that will help me accomplish my goal:
1) Time for myself (you can't serve from an empty plate)
-Exercise 4-6 times a week
-Daily personal scripture study
-Take more time for personal prayers
-Eat balanced meals
-At least monthly temple attendance
2) Time for us
-Weekly dates with Marc
-Quarterly overnighters without Lucy (at least 2 before the baby comes)
-Stronger couples' scripture study
-Kneel when we pray
3) Time for all of us
-Read to Lucy at least 15 mins a day
-Read scriptures with Lucy daily
-Do something outside daily together
-Attend baby story hour at least once a month
-Take one more Mom & Baby swim class with Lucy before the baby comes
-Continue with weekly Family Home Evenings
-Eat dinner together nightly

9 comments:

Aimee said...

Katie, thanks so much for your post. I really needed that tonight. I just moved classrooms and am working with some wonderful students that are really demanding and am SO EXHAUSTED! Thanks for the reminder of what a wonderful profession we are a part of. I will work to have more charity in my life as well.

Christine said...

A fabulous theme! If anybody can do it, you can.

Lindsay said...

LOVED your comment about being a woman of God and not of the world. That puts everything in to perspective. Good luck on your goals this year!

JMadd said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've been thinking a lot about charity the past few weeks and what exactly charity is and how I can be more charitable.

Heidi said...

Wow, your such a nice person and now your going to be even nicer. I'm lucky to be your friend :)

Heidi said...

Congrats Peter. I'll always remember our nursery days!

ls said...

i love your theme and the goals that came from it. what a great idea.

i am curious-- how important would you say overnighters away from your baby are for you and your husband? john and i have never left georgie overnight and i am wondering if we are missing out on something important :).

Katie said...

To answer Liz: When I was a beehive I was supposed to talk to someone who had been married a while and ask what advice they had to make a marriage strong. I spoke with my Grandma and she gave several pieces of advice (some of my favorites being to always still hold hands and wink at one another). But another piece of advice was to always take time for just the 2 of you. She said even if it was to just stay the night in a local hotel, you needed time to be just with one another. The times Marc and I have done this have been nothing short of magical. It was like, hey it's great to look at your cute face again and what do you think about sleeping in as late as we want? And what if we just decide to go for a swim or a hike at the last minute and not have to worry it conflicts with naptime. It has been a great rejuvenation for our marriage. With that said, I have ever been able to leave Lucy for longer than a 24 hour period and I was dying to hold her the whole time we were driving home. It is a balance. ;)

ls said...

thanks for the answer, katie. i can totally see how lovely a night away would be. maybe that will be one of my goals for the near future. there is a part of me that feels like it is almost more work than it is worth though because i would stress about leaving him, i'm sure. but i always have to remind myself (and john) "what is the worst thing that could happen?" and it really isn't the huge deal i make it out to be. thanks again.