Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Last Thanksgiving . . .

It was my birthday. I had a 2 week old baby. I was still figuring out nursing. I didn't dare commit to be anywhere because I had no idea what my baby's schedule would be like so we had a cozy little Thanksgiving dinner at our home with our little family and a few good friends.
Also on that day . . . Heidi cooked her very first turkey. As she went to get the turkey out of the oven we heard a large bang followed by Heidi exclaiming, "Marc! Fire! Big Fire!" As we ran to see what had happened, Marc quickly took the turkey from Heidi and she looked right at me. She had the cutest little singed curls all around her face. I said, "Heidi, go get in the shower. Don't look in the mirror, just get in the shower".

She then grabbed her face and said "My eyelashes?!?" I continued to insist that she go get in the shower but she settled for the sink. She was wiping away the singed hair as Marc and I took turns consoling her. We had to take turns because we needed time to go laugh our face off at what just happened. Once one of us could pull it together we'd go back and talk to Heidi. She finally said, as she was pulling a chunk of singed hair out, "You can laugh, this is funny". At which point we roared with laughter! She actually made it out ok. The picture below is post-incident so you can see she was fine. But oh how many times we told that story!!!
It was a fabulous Thanksgiving full of many firsts and many great memories to treasure for a lifetime. Can't wait to see what Thanksgiving 2008 has in store!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Don't worry. I'm not cooking any turkeys this year. The world is safe.

Chit Chatt said...

I hope your Thanksgiving was great! I'm sorry I wasn't there to celebrate with you, but it sounds like you had a fabulous birthday!

Melissa said...

Okay, I don't think I have ever heard that story but it made me laugh out loud. As always, thank you for the good times. Life is brighter with you around.